Welcome to Flutes at the Barns
A personal message from tutor Zoё Booth
Dear Flute Player,
I am delighted to tell you about what makes Flutes at the Barns special, and invite you to take part in your very own flute course; I look forward to welcoming you!
Each course provides the opportunity for every participant to take part in flute playing activities in idyllic settings, whether in the UK or beyond. As well as considering the beautiful locations, venues for the courses are chosen for their comfort, luxury and spaciousness/acoustic. Residential participants are accommodated individually on the same site as the musical activities, with private access to their own bathroom (non-
playing partners are welcome to attend). All meals and refreshments are freshly and professionally provided; FATB has developed a deserved reputation for plentiful provision, with tasty menus chosen to reflect the tastes of participants and to include local produce (where possible), as well as taking dietary requirements into consideration.
Every course is open to flute players of all standards and abilities, aged eighteen and over.
- Residential courses are held during the week in the UK
- Overseas courses (held outside the UK mainland) are longer residential experiences, and include a range of short organised sightseeing trips as well as musical activities
- Flute Days are held on a day at the weekend
Flutes at the Barns courses each include a range of musical activities; whether you’re hoping to develop experience as a solo player or performer, enjoy playing with others in big or small groups, or you’re just hoping to absorb yourself in as many motivating ideas as possible, there is something to help you come away from the course exhilarated and eager for more playing. Individual schedules for courses vary, and include the following:
- group warm-
ups with lots of hints and tips - a variety of ever- changing classes to ensure you go home with lots of ideas to help you continue to improve a range of technical aspects;
- ensemble playing in a variety of styles;
- chamber music with coaching;
- individual tuition with Zoё Booth;
- flute choir, featuring the opportunity to play piccolo, alto and/or bass;
- an individual rehearsal session with one of our experienced professional accompanists;
- musical/discussion workshops on techniques, repertoire and interpretative ideas;
- the chance to hear and participate in live performance and/or masterclass;
- a recital given by the course tutors...
- ... and much more!
Since 2003 Flutes at the Barns courses have developed to cultivate a non-
competitive, sociable and encouraging atmosphere with a focus on excellent, all- inclusive music- making, expert tuition, good food and good company. Over fifty-six residential courses, a large number of Flute Days, an incredible amount of experience and numerous returning players to date, Flutes at the Barns has proved to be exceptional in its value for money, exclusivity and level of involvement for all performers!
I look forward to welcoming you!
Course Tutor, Flutes at the Barns